Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rich Parents


I read that having rich parents makes a child more likely to become rich, not because they have access to better schools, etc. (although I still think that stuff may help) but that the "norms" for those kids are different. They expect and demand more. This was true for me attending an expensive private school. There was an expectation that we should all go to university, and not just do something, but something respectable. I wouldn't/couldn't have dreamt of being a plumber or welder, even though they are fine jobs. I was thinking about this when I was newer in Zambia, how ridiculous it was that the bus station was so disorganized and how all it took was effort and organization, not money, and things would be faster, more efficient. Well that is true for a lot of things in Zambia and I think I know why they exist now! Coming from our culture, a rich place where there is so much emphasis on easy and fast, things are often easy and fast. We EXPECT them to be and get upset when they aren't, then hopefully wonder why they're not fast and easy and then even more hopefully get some motivation to make things better. This process doesn't happen with Zambians in the same situations as it does for us. And that's a big reason why things are different, slower, harder and sometimes less efficient.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Ben I was just reading this and I know what you mean even HTA the people there expect you to go to university and have a great job. I never would have thought to be a plumber or have seen it as a exceptable career, even though I love doing now. Also we are materialistic I am posting this from my new Iphone. Well I love you and hope you are enjoying you time in africa. I don't know how to do this so if you don't know it's james

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I was a little confused when mom said she liked being a plumber! I'm actually a little the same. I never thought that being a tour guide was respectable enough to consider, but now I'm very seriously considering it. One thing I've really found is that you'll never be disappointed if you follow your heart.

    I think there is a general lack of people in trades right now in Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this tutorial with us. It is very easy to understand. Carry on, we are waiting like this post.

    Shared Hosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Every body learn a lot from that post. thanks .
    mentalist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing with us. I learned a lot from your articles. We always give people solutions to health protection as mosquito screen door (cửa lưới chống muỗicửa lưới chống muỗi tại Hà Nội), door-rolled mosquito nets ( cua luoicửa lưới chống muỗi tự cuốn). Protect you from the dangers of the insects. This is very good for you and your family. Please contact us today if you need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing of information . I reads this post it is very intrasting. So nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing of information . I reads this post it is very intrasting. So nice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your very helpful shareing blog for us .Its very important for me.This Is very helpful for any kind of man
    More info.my website

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your very helpful shareing blog for us .Its very important for me.This Is very helpful for any kind of man
    More info.my website

    ReplyDelete